COLORFRONT SPOTLIGHTS AMAZING UHD HDR PERFORMANCE AT SMPTE 2015
Ground-breaking Colorfront 2016 dailies and transcoding products releasing soon
Hollywood, California, Oct 27, 2015 – Colorfront (www.colorfront.com), Colorfront (www.colorfront.com), the Academy and Emmy Award-winning developer of high-performance, on-set dailies and transcoding systems for motion pictures, high-end episodic TV and commercials, is showcasing the cutting-edge capabilities its forthcoming 2016 products supporting the wide variety of Ultra High Definition (UHD), High Dynamic Range (HDR) workflows during SMPTE 2015 Annual Technical Conference – the world’s leading forum for the exploration of media and entertainment technology – 27-29 Oct, Loews Hollywood Hotel, Hollywood. Colorfront booth #311.
Colorfront products are renowned for pushing the performance envelope. With its Transkoder 2016 and On-Set Dailies 2016 systems, the company is once again enabling new possibilities through a host of innovations that deliver faster, more flexible processing of the latest UHD HDR camera, color, editorial and deliverables formats for digital cinema, high-end episodic TV and OTT internet entertainment channels.
Colorfront Transkoder is already deployed by major Hollywood studios including Disney, Fox, Paramount, Warner Bros. and Universal, while Colorfront On-Set Dailies systems are used in the workflows of the latest motion picture productions including The Jungle Book, Sicario, The Revenant, Snowden and By The Sea.
High-Dynamic Range (HDR) workflows and processing:
- Colorfront Transkoder and On-Set Dailies feature Colorfront Engine, the state-of-the-art, ACES-compliant, HDR-managed color pipeline, enabling on-set look creation and ensuring color fidelity of UHD HDR materials and metadata though the camera-to-post chain. Colorfront Engine supports the full dynamic range and color gamut of the latest digital camera formats and mapping into industry-standard deliverables such as the latest IMF specs and AS-11 DPP and HEVC, at a variety of brightness, contrast and color ranges in current display devices.
- The mastering toolset for Transkoder 2016 is enhanced with new statistical analysis tools for immediate HDR data graphing. Highlights include MaxCLL and MaxFALL calculations, as well as HDR mastering tools with tone and gamut mapping for a variety of target color spaces, including: Rec2020, P3D65, and XYZ, PQ curve, and BBC-NHK Hybrid Log Gamma.
- Brand new in Transkoder 2016’s cutting-edge UHD toolset are unique tools to concurrently color grade HDR and SDR UHD versions, cutting down the complexity, time and cost of delivering multiple masters at once.
- An industry-first, underscoring the extreme performance of Colorfront systems, will see Transkoder 2016 outputting simultaneous, real-time grades on 4K 60p material to dual Sony OLED BVM-X300 broadcast monitors – concurrently processing HDR 2084 PQ Rec2020 at 1000nits and SDR Rec709 at 100nits – while visually graphing MaxFALL/MaxCLL light values per frame.
Advanced dailies toolsets:
- Colorfront leads industry innovation by providing the best possible toolsets to process dailies for motion pictures and TV shows. Enhancements include support for the very latest camera formats, including full Panasonic Varicam35 VRAW, AVC Intra 444, 422 and LT support, Canon EOS C300 Mark II with new Canon Log2 Gamma, ARRI Alexa 65 and Alexa SXT, RED Weapon, Sony XAVC and the associated image metadata from all of these.
- Debuting at SMPTE 2015 in On-Set Dailies 2016 is the new Multi-view Dailies capability, which allows concurrent, real-time playback and color-grading of all cameras and camera views. This facility new reel markers with first/last frame provide dailies colorists with the fastest way to review and match all cameras at the same time.
- Also being premiered is file-based transwrapping, allowing video essence data (the RAW, compressed audio/video and metadata inside a container such as MXF or MOV) to be passed through the transcoding process without re-encoding, enabling frame-accurate insert editing on closed digital deliverables. This workflow can be a great time saver in day-to-day production, allowing Colorfront Transkoder users to quickly generate new masters based on changes and versioning of content in the major mastering formats, like IMF, DCI, and ProRes, and efficient trimming of camera original media for VFX pulls and final conform from ARRI, RED and Sony cameras.
Support for the latest deliverables & standards:
Transkoder 2016 includes the latest HDR delivery formats for OTT internet entertainment channels including Amazon and Netflix. It also supports Dolby Vision, Dolby Atmos and Dolby Cinema, enhanced encrypted/unencrypted DCP mastering in 2K, 4K, 3D and at High Frame Rates, KDM generation, extreme-performance InterOp to SMPTE DCP transwrapping, IMF App2E and BCP7, robust closed-caption and subtitle language support, plus burn-ins and invisible, forensic watermarking from Civolution NexGuard, along with validation and PDF QC reporting. Transkoder 2016 also outputs UHD ProRes, DNxHD and HR, XAVC, lossy/lossless JPEG2000, H264 and HEVC deliverables with HDR signaling and automatic statistical metadata calculations, including MaxCLL and MaxFALL.
About Colorfront: Colorfront, based in Budapest, Hungary, is one of Europe's leading DI and post production facilities. The company was founded by brothers Mark and Aron Jaszberenyi, who together played a pivotal role in the emergence of non-linear DI. The company's R&D team earned an Academy Award for the development of Lustre, Autodesk's DI grading system, and a Primetime Engineering Emmy for the Colofront On-Set Dailies. Combining this in-depth expertise with a pedigree in the development of additional cutting-edge software, Colorfront offers today's most advanced technologies for scanning and recording, DI grading, conforming, digital dailies, VFX, online and offline editing, cinema sound mixing, mastering and deliverables. For further information please visit www.colorfront.com.
T: +36 1 880 3900
M +36 30 311 1792